Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fallons Quick Guide To Modafinil
The following guide will serve as a high level overview and introduction to the popular Nootropic Modafinil. 

What is Modafinil?

Modafinil is a Wakefulness promoting agent prescribed to Narcoleptics and individuals with shift work sleep disorder - essentially people who work the graveyard shift. Modafinil was never designed as a cognitive enhancing Nootropic but has been embraced as such. In the Nootropics community Modafinil is widely considered the King. As a Nootropic it satisfies much of the criteria as outlined by the father of Nootropics himself. Modafinil increases cognition, produces little to no serious side effects, and is non toxic to the point where an LD-50 has not even been established. LD-50 represents the amount of a drug required to kill half of the users. 

Modafinil has a stimulant nature, sometimes imperceptible depending on your overall energy levels. When well rested, Modafinil delivers subtle stimulatory effects but nothing notable. When under slept, the true power of Modafinil comes fully in to play. Modafinil completely eliminates the negative cognitive effects associated with no sleep, little sleep, or poor sleep. Modafinil reduces fatigue and one feels like they've actually gotten the best sleep of their life. The extent to which you notice Modafinil is generally correlated to your quality of sleep and energy levels. There are also specific genotypes which govern how you respond to Modafinil. Most notably, individuals with rs4680 gene do not respond to Modafinil. This is a gene responsible for breaking down Dopamine in the Pre Frontal Cortex. The only way to know if you have this gene is to get tested. Generally, Modafinil is well tolerated by most individuals and there's plenty of positive anecdotes attesting to Modafinils ability to increase wakefulness, energy, and focus. Many users including myself also report elevated moods and positive impacts on Depression. Stimulants in general can have an anti-depressive effect especially those modulating the Dopamine response. Modafinil has demonstrated to be a weak Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor. To date, the mechanisms behind how Modafinil works has yet to become fully elucidated. The modulation of the Dopamine system is one theory behind the stimulating effects. 

What Modafinil Isn't

Modafinil is not some cartoonish limitless pill popularized by mainstream media movies like Limitless with A list celebrity Bradley Cooper. At best, Modafinil is going to wake you up, boost energy levels, increase focus, and probably keep you awake all night too. At worst, Modafinil will do very little for you, especially if you have that genotype I mentioned earlier. It's not a magic pill with no consequences. Many users report a tolerance build up over time, with some users reporting Modafinil stops working completely. The body needs sleep and will force you into hibernation if you push the limits. Sleep debt is a real thing. Luckily we do not see any dependence issues with Modafinil. I would argue that caffeine is much more addictive and creates a real state of withdrawal upon cessation. This same response is not seen with Modafinil. 

Modafinil is NOT Adderall, or even a comparable substitute on any level (Although combined with other Nootropics you can achieve some impressive stacks.)

Modafinil Versions

So you'll no doubt run across 4 different versions of Modafinil out there in the wild, sometimes more. This is confusing for new users. Essentially, there are 2 versions of Modafinil sold by 2 different pharma companies, and 2 different Armodafinil versions sold by the same 2 companies. 

Below you'll see what I'm talking about:

Modalert - Modafinil made by SUN Pharmaceuticals
Modvigil - Modafinil made by HAB PHARMA

Waklert - Armodafinil made by SUN Pharmaceuticals
Artvigil - Armodafinil made by HAB PHARMA

At the top of this hierarchy is Modafinil and Armodafinil. Armodafinil is a slightly modified version of Modafinil, longer lasting, and stronger. You need much less of the compound to achieve the same results. Armodafinil is sold in 150mg tablets while Modafinil is sold in 200mg tablets. Armodafinil is VERY strong in my experience. I never take the full 150mg and usually break the tablet in half. In fact, I also don't take with coffee unless I have copious amounts of L-Theanine. Modafinil substantially potentiates the effects of other stimulants. This stuff can and will cause anxiety especially if you're already neurotic and high strung to begin with. My goto version is Modalert 200mg from SUN Pharmaceuticals although honestly, Modvigil is just as good.

This leads us into a few of the common side effects.

SIDE EFFECTS

As mentioned, Modafinil is praised for its high safety profile and limited side effects. Notable side effects include:
  • Anxiety
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Sulfur urine smell
  • Insomnia
  • Headaches
These side effects are common to most standard run of the mill stimulants, minus the funny smelling urine effect. In Modafinil, there is a type of sulfur compound that is broken down and eliminated producing an unsavory odor upon elimination.

Most side effects involving anxiety are easily mediated with calming Nootropics like L-Theanine. Once again, note that Modafinil will greatly enhance the effects of caffeine. Headaches are usually a sign of dehydration. Drink water throughout the day even though you'll be pissing like a race horse every 20 minutes. 

Buying Modafinil

As some of you know Modafinil Star just went out of business. They were my GOTO supplier for Modafinil. However, I have tried product from Buymoda.org with great results and other members of the Forum have reported positive reviews for Afinil Express.

Expect to pay with Bitcoin for many of these vendors. I know they give you some pretty good discounts if you choose to pay in Bitcoin. Expect to wait 1 - 2 weeks for your order to arrive. If you live in the US it will get stuck in Customs clearance for at least a week. I know this having ordered many times from these overseas companies. For the most part I have found the Modafinil coming from India is actually quite good. 

Legality

Modafinil is a schedule 4 compound in the United States. It is illegal to posses without a prescription. Keep that in mind. Also keep in mind the rarity of anyone ever getting busted from ordering Modafinil online. In my book The Modafinil Manual I discuss some strategies for staying anonymous and minimizing risk. I have not ran across a single documented report of anyone getting arrested for ordering or having Modafinil. The scheduling system of drugs in the US is a complete joke. I do not personally worry about it but you have to make your own choice and weigh the risk.

Pictures

Here are some pics of legit Modafinil I've collected over the years.

[Image: artvigil-150.jpg]

[Image: neo-modafinil-review.jpg]

[Image: afinil-express-package.jpg]

Conclusion

This was basic crash course. If you have any questions drop a comment or check out The Modafinil Manual for a complete guide. Thanks for reading!

-Fallon  Cool