Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating Gaba/Glutamine Harmony
Hey People,

Hoping somebody with more knowledge/experience can help save my brain from exploding!

I have been trying to heal my gut using the GAPS diet protocol and ended up causing more issues with something called sibo which was a living nightmare to deal with for 4 years, it was the extreme end of stress.

After I fixed the sibo I ended up bouncing through various nutritional deficiencies and getting poisoned with mercury from a filling I had out, which has been detoxed and cleaned up now. But somewhere along the line, stress from everything thats been going on has upset my gaba/glutamine response/cycle/uptake(?). (something like this- https://www.intechopen.com/books/anxiety...BKe-_wHyC4 )

Every time I have a bowl of soup the bone broth thats high in glutamine triggers an excitatory repsonse (glutamine is what helps to heal the gut). It has got better after the detox but its still not right!

So my question is, would something like Fasoracetam be good for upregulating my gaba receptors and get them working properly? Or, I currently self medicate with marijuana, I am in a much better place than I was a few months a go, if I knock the smoke on the head, exercise lots, eat clean, would that be enough to get things working properly?

If anybody is interested in the gut bacteria side of things for mental health I have a ton of experience with this and would be happy to do a thread on the subject if anybodies interested?

Thx in advance, Rob
So sounds like you're trying to target anxiety? Assuming so since you mention GABA/glutamate. I'd start with the GABA foundations. Magnesium, L-Theanine, Taurine all modulate GABA to a degree. NAC is probably the most promising nootropic for lowering Glutamate. Shows lot's of promise for OCD/anxiety/schizophrenia which are all related to poorly functioning Glutamate.
(01-31-2021, 02:08 AM)Liquid02 Wrote: So sounds like you're trying to target anxiety? Assuming so since you mention GABA/glutamate. I'd start with the GABA foundations. Magnesium, L-Theanine, Taurine all modulate GABA to a degree. NAC is probably the most promising nootropic for lowering Glutamate. Shows lot's of promise for OCD/anxiety/schizophrenia which are all related to poorly functioning Glutamate.

Thx for the reply Liquid02,

Anxiety is more of a symptom of the glutamine reaction. Its not really anxiety as such, its more of a knotted stomach feeling and stimulated heart rate that I cant switch off until it wears off late evening.

I should have said in my initial post that when things first started getting really bad, before I realised the mercury poisoning, I researched the glutamine/gaba access and tried everything you mentioned which didnt really make a difference. The NAC helped slightly but only dulled the knotted stomach/palpitations a little.

Thx, Rob
When you say stimulated heart beat I think of other mechanisms, not so much the GABA/glutamate but cortisol, norepinephrine etc. Elevated heart rate could be too much stress hormones, adrenaline and cortisol. sounds like all this has you super stressed out? I can't be certain of the stomach problem, but does seem stress related so anything to manage stress. Ashwagandha comes to mind. Also limiting any stims like caffeine and amphetamines if you take those.
(01-31-2021, 03:09 AM)Liquid02 Wrote: When you say stimulated heart beat I think of other mechanisms, not so much the GABA/glutamate but cortisol, norepinephrine etc. Elevated heart rate could be too much stress hormones, adrenaline and cortisol. sounds like all this has you super stressed out? I can't be certain of the stomach problem, but does seem stress related so anything to manage stress. Ashwagandha comes to mind. Also limiting any stims like caffeine and amphetamines if you take those.
Stimulated, I guess i mean it feels more stronger.. The closest thing i can relate it to is after you take speed/amphetamines and you come down from it but you still cant sleep, like the heart rate is still strong adn you cant relax.. Not sure if you can relate to that?

I've never really drank tea or coffee. The diet that I'm on cuts out all sugars and most carbs...

I'm chilled, happy n ready to get on with life, if it wasnt for this one last issue.

even when i was dealing with the extreme stress, I new i couldnt really react to it otherwise it would destroy me, I just had to try n carry on with life and ignore things the best i could until I had dealt with the root cause of it..

But now it seems a glutamine sensitivity/gaba issues was all part of it..

Thx for the reply
Yes please make a post about gut health and what you've learned!

Mags
Yes,
Fasoracetam is notorious for its GABA B upregulation attribute.
This would be my go to if I suspected any GABA issues.
More importantly, how will you deal with the negative effects from THC?