Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POWERFUL NATURAL ANTIOXIDANT
Yellow Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
Great  Natural Antioxidant

Turmeric is a native spice of South East Asia and its use dates a few years back (just a bit over 4000 years or so). Spice comes from the turmeric plant and it belongs to Zingiberaceae or ginger family.  Most probably know it as the main spice in curry.  Tumeric contains curcumin and is used for conditions involving pain, inflammation, hay fever, high cholesterol, depression, liver diseases and most of all it`s a great antioxidant thats widely avaliable and not expencive.

I`ve actually known about its antioxidant propertis for a long time, just didnt like the taste, so till “recently”i never used it, not even in cooking, except what little curry spice had in it.
I know its not a nootropic, but it goes along quite well and it can also fly solo.
Also not gonna cover all of its properties, just a quick insight for this wonderfull antioxidant. It`s actually so powerfull that one day you might wake up, take a look in the mirror and say:"damn, i`ll need to go to highschool again ", heh.

CURCUMA PROPERTIES

** Over 100 compounds have been isolated from turmeric. The principal components include curcumioids: curcumin, demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin. Those are quite powerfull  antioxidants. And research shows that curcumin’s antioxidant activity is stronger than that of Vitamin C. **

* As an antioxidant, curcumin reduces oxidative stress, imbalance between prooxidant and antioxidant agents in body, scavenges free radical species that cause oxidative damage and raises  activity of antioxidant enzymes. This antioxidant activity of curcumin is favourable in many diseases like cancer, bipolar disorder, heavy metal toxicity..

* Curcumin exerts have antiinflammatory property by interfering in the activity of nuclear factor kappa B, a protein that controls inflammation and also inhibiting the activity of inflammatory enzymes.

* It might decrease blood sugar in people with diabetes. 
I tested that within family for diabetes type 2. She was using curcumin for 2 weeks,  sugar levels did decrease, but she had to stop using it because it also made reflux disease worse.

* Derivatives of curcumin are found to have analgesic activity stronger than aspirin.  A clinical trial in humans demonstrated that turmeric extracts were as effective as ibuprofen in treating knee osteoarthtis and it did not cause gastric side effects like ibuprofen (taken in proper doses, takeing to much in my experience does cause stomach issues).

* Curcumin is also a broad spectrum anti-microbial agent as it inhibits the growth of bacteria, viruses and fungi. Turmeric extracts are found to inhibit the growth of bacteria like Staphylcoccus, Streptococcus, E.coli. It even acts against drug resistant strains like methicillin-resistant Staph aureus.

* Turmeric oil also shows bactericidal activity. And curcumin also acts in synergy with antibiotics, and its used against many viruses such as HIV, Human Papilloma Virus, HCV..

* Turmeric oil as well as curcumin show anti-fungal activity and are potent anti Candida agents.

* Curcumin  is suppose to have superior anti-cancer activity which kills cancer cells but protects normal cells.

* Early research shows that taking turmeric formulated with dietary fiber may reduce stress in otherwise healthy people.

Dosage for adults  (taken oraly)

For hay fever: 500 mg of curcumin daily for 2 months.
For depression: 500 mg of curcumin has been taken twice daily, for 6-8 weeks.
For high levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia): 1.4 grams of turmeric extract in two divided doses daily for 3 months has been used.
For buildup of fat in the liver in people who drink little or no alcohol (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NAFLD): 500 mg of a product containing 70 mg of curcumin, a chemical in turmeric, has been used daily for 8 weeks. Also 100 mg curcumin twice daily for 8 weeks has been used.
For osteoarthritis: 500 mg of turmeric extract taken two to four times daily for 1-3 months.
For itching: 1500 mg of turmeric in three divided doses daily for 8 weeks has been used.

Personaly i use it mostly for its antioxidant effects. Up to 2grams per day, i split those 2g`s in 2 or 3 doses over the day.  I put it in a bit of warm water, mix it a bit and drink it like a shot of schnaps, cuz it doesnt taste that great on its own, but you get used to it.

WHEN TO USE WITH CAUTION

* It can make gallbladder problems worse. Not recommended if you got gallstones or a bile duct obstruction.

* It can cause upset stomach  in some people. It might make stomach problems such as gastroesophageal reflux disease worse.
This one i can actually confirm, as someone here in the family has reflux and morning caughing got alot worse. Also when i first started using curcumin on daily bases i was exaggerateing a bit and on day 2 or 3 my stomach felt like it was doing push ups all day, heh. I immediately pulled out a scale just to see what does 2g of curcumin look like and i started using aproximately 1g in the morning and another 1g later on or in the evening. Lately im splitting it in 3 doses over the day, about 600mg per dose. That dose seems to work for me, but 500mg per dose would probably be that sweet dosage.

* Hormone sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids. Curcumin might act like the hormone estrogen. In theory, turmeric might make hormone sensitive conditions worse. Some research tho shows that turmeric reduces the effects of estrogen in some hormone sensitive cancer cells. Therefore, turmeric might have beneficial effects on hormone sensitive conditions.

* Taking high amounts of turmeric may also prevent absorption of iron. Turmeric should be used with caution in people with iron deficiency.

* Might also lower testosterone levels and decrease sperm movement when taken by mouth by men and might reduce fertility. So its somewhat natural condom? heh

* Stop using turmeric at least 2 weeks before scheduled surgery. It might cause extra bleeding during and after surgery!

* Also not advised when pregnant.

One last thing, it stains alot if not carefull and its not that easy to wipe off .

Main sources:

https://www.turmericforhealth.com/genera...a-zedoaria
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingred...2/turmeric

https://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmer...-mortality
Yes I love Turmeric! I take it with a small amount of black pepper extract. I read it helps with absorbing. Depression levels are way down since taking Turmeric. I get it from a local Indian market.
Nice post. Do you have a particular brand you like? I know they have this stuff at the store but I'm sure there's higher quality product out there.

I think In Ayurvedic medicine they take it with milk to control the stomach issues.

Sounds like a good thing to take daily for general health/anti depressive benefits
I been getting curcumin powder from a local store with suplements (origin is mostly always india, no matter where you buy it). It says organic, has a certificate heh, but i know how that goes. One farmer sprays tons of pesticides and the other across the road has organic farm hehe, and that`s a true example from nearby where i live. But i must say, those 2nd hand pesticides do taste good (they make cheeses on that organic farm among other stuff).

You could probably try nootropics depot or a source closer to you, as you dont want that stuff sitting at customs for days or longer, paying fees ect..
Till now my only source was this local supplement store, but i started with plain kitchen curcumin, as there were few small bottles sitting here for years. Even now i`ll sometimes just throw that one in a glass and drink it Tongue

btw i`m pretty sure its lowering my blood preasure.  Got it down to constant 130/90 in a short period, from before fluctuations up to 170/110 or more sometimes.  Also been waking up alot past years, atleast 10 times in about 7-8hours sleep, first 3 hours are ok then it starts. Didnt notice any big change in sleep tho, BP probably still to high. Need to stop smoking and do some regular exercise! Got lazy over the years.
Check out this Curcumin stash at iherb, there`s tons of it heh, im not familiar with iherb tho, but just look at that collection .
https://www.iherb.com/search?kw=curcumin