Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAC (N Acetyl Cysteine) Review
[Image: N-Acetyl-Cysteine-Nootropics-Depot-NAC.jpg]
I've been using NAC for the past couple weeks or so with good results. It's quickly becoming a GOTO Nootropic I use for reducing anxiety and intrusive thought patterns. 

I started taking NAC at night and noticed I woke up much earlier than usual. A good couple hours earlier in fact. I took it this way for a few days before switching it up and taking it during the day. The day time effects are much more pronounced and it's clear to me that NAC is a powerful compound for general psychological well being. The therapeutic value of NAC shows up as an overall reduction in anxiety, neuroticism, and obsessive behaviors. 

Many studies point to NAC being highly useful for reducing irritability (Autism study), Reducing negative symptoms of OCD, and reducing impulsive/addictive tendencies. 

NAC seems to exert its influence through both its antioxidant component (Glutathione) and through its modulation of the excitatory neurotransmitter Glutamate. In the chronically obsessed and addicted, elevated Glutamate levels are observed. NAC reduced Cocaine cravings in one study by leveling out Glutamate levels. Glutamate is the brains main excitatory neurotransmitter. It's the gas pedal in the car. You can think of GABA as the brakes. If the 2 are out of balance it's like the car is going too fast and out of control. Too much gas and not enough brakes. In the brain, excessive Glutamate activity and not enough GABA results in addiction to GABA type compounds and can manifest itself as anxiety, fear, and general neuroticism. NAC helps to restore the natural balance of Glutamate. 

Personally I've found NAC is a game changer for morning anxiety. It kicks in at about the 1 - 2 hour mark and lasts for a good part of the day. I feel pretty much leveled out and calm. I have found that NAC is hard on the stomach, some say due to its acidic nature. Drinking enough water and taking NAC with a little food can mitigate much of the negative side effects.

I will continue to take NAC until this bottle is gone. Like most compounds, it is probably a good idea to cycle NAC.

Video

OMG I Love NAC! I have taken NAC for clear skin and yes it does help my brain!
(07-23-2019, 09:53 PM)Mags Wrote: OMG I Love NAC! I have taken NAC for clear skin and yes it does help my brain!

Looking forward to the positive effects on skin. I don't have too much acne but I spend a lot of time in the sun which creates its own damage. If you look at my nose you'll notice it's darker than the rest...LOL.
I noticed I tend to sleep better when I take it at night before bed. The next day I also feel calm and somewhat easy going. As far as taking it during the day, I think I need to stack it with alcar or caffeine or I'm slightly lazy, but NAC is definitely a good nootropic either way.
(07-30-2019, 02:21 AM)frenzycat Wrote: I noticed I tend to sleep better when I take it at night before bed. The next day I also feel calm and somewhat easy going. As far as taking it during the day, I think I need to stack it with alcar or caffeine or I'm slightly lazy, but NAC is definitely a good nootropic either way.

If I take it at night I always wake up earlier than usual with more energy. It seems to accelerate the healing and restorative phases of sleep. Probably due to the antioxidant properties.