Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mexidol (Emoxypine) Review and Experience
Overview

[Image: Mexidol-768x638.jpg]

Mexidol (Emoxypine) is a Russian synthesized compound used in a number of therapeutic settings. Although not approved for medical use in the United States or Europe, Emoxypine is used in Russia to treat multiple conditions. Emoxypines mechanisms of action are heavily tied in to the Antioxidant properties of the compound. The compound is structurally similar to Vitamin B6. Of particular interest, Emoxypine has notable anti-alcohol effects, anxiolytic and anti-convulsant properties, and potent anti-oxidant activity. As an anti-oxidant, Emoxypine prevents the formation of free radicals in the brain. Free radicals are the net result of certain metabolic processes in the body. Free radicals are atoms with only a single electron and are in constant search of a pair. To pair up, free radicals steal electrons from other molecules in the body causing damage to DNA, Proteins, and cells. This creates a domino effect of the effected atoms losing an electron and so in turn stealing from another. The body has a natural defense to free radicals called the endogenous antioxidant system. Overtime however, the amount of free radicals in the body can overwhelm the system. Unchecked free radical oxidation plays a major role in every known disease. It stands to reason that a potent anti-oxidant could reverse the damage caused by free radicals and deliver powerful health benefits to the human body.

While anti-oxidants like Vitamin C and E deserve a place in medicine, they fall short when compared to their synthetic varieties. Perhaps one of the greatest breakthroughs in modern medicine is the synthesis of potent anti-oxidant compounds like Emoxypine.

Outside of Emoxypines anti-oxidant properties it has other mechanisms. Emoxypine modulates the receptor sites of GABA, Acetylcholine, Benzodiazepine and increases their sensitivity. This mechanism is thought to control Emoxypines subtle anxiolytic property and how it potentiates the effectiveness of other drugs involved with these neurotransmitters. Emoxypine has demonstrated comparable effects to drugs like Alprazolam and Diazepam without negative secondary effects such as sedation, impaired motor coordination, and impaired cognition. In one study, rats were subject to a painful electric shock every time they drank from their water dish. This created a fear/anxiety response tied to drinking water. When Emoxypine was introduced into their system, the number of punishable drinkings increased. On Emoxypine, the rats were less fearful of the shock and made the choice to drink despite the punishment.

Experience

Day 1
Initial dose: 125mg

I started off with a single 125mg tablet taken from one of the 5 packs of 10 sent to me by Rupharma. As far as I can tell this is the only reliable place to get this stuff.

February 2020 EDIT: Nootropics Depot also carries it. A much better option of you are domestic in the US. 

I did some preliminary research first. I was mostly interested in what other people were experiencing. I found for the most part, people found Emoxypine effective and therapeutic. There were of course a handful of users who reported no effects at all, and some people reported that it took 2 - 3 weeks before they experienced anything. I really hate having to wait for effects, one of the reasons I've never tried Bacopa. I like my Nootropics to have almost instant acute effects. I went into it with enthusiasm though, not thinking too much. 

About 30 minutes in I began to feel something. It was hard to place. Placebo? I didn't rule it out. It was so subtle I could barely place my finger on it.

60 minutes in I realized the effect. My brain felt absolutely clear headed. Zero brain fog. I wouldn't necessarily say my overall memory improved, but the usual brain fog had completely burned off. It reminded me of Piracetam but without the manic mood boosting effect. This felt like a natural clear headed response. I nodded to myself in approval and went about my day.

Focusing was much easier. I felt as if I had tunnel vision on single tasks. Rather than constantly getting distracted by other tabs in my browser, it became easier to focus on single tasks at a time. This led to much better productivity and a higher threshold for distractions. It was harder to get distracted and easier to focus. 

Day 2
Dose: 250mg (2x throughout the day)

On day 2 I took a single 125mg dose in the morning and then another at night. Once again, that clear headed effect seemed to be a cornerstone of the compound. I noted VERY subtle anxiolytic properties. I must say though the anxiolytic response is nothing to write home about. Really, the clear headed effect is absolutely astounding. No headaches, no feeling like you took something synthetic - just pure clean breathing and thinking. 

I did notice the effects burned off after 3 - 4 hours. Very short duration indeed. I felt somewhat tired and irritable although that's my normal mode of operation especially when I'm at work and the boss is droning on and on. I took another 125mg dose later in the evening. As far as I can tell it had no effects on sleep or my ability to fall and stay asleep. Good stuff.

Day 3
Dose: 375mg (2x throughout the day)

Day 3 I decided to up the dosage. I took my initial 125mg dose in the morning and then took 250mg in the afternoon. The anxiolytic response was much more noticeable at this dosage. Interesting. In my head I'm thinking of taking a massive attack dose for science. Maybe tomorrow. I have a feeling the anti-anxiety response only comes to the surface at these higher doses. 

Conclusion

I've found Emoxypine very effective at delivering clear headed focus. I can already tell it's going to stack well with other Nootropics. It seems to be similar to L-Theanine in this regard, although L-Theanine never delivers clear headed focus like this. I can see this compound quickly becoming a staple in my Nootropics regiments.