Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COULD EXCESS OF CHOLINE HAVE LONGTERM NEGATIVE EFFECTS?
Lets take a quick look at choline. Its rolle, daily needs, the good/positive, some deficiency sympthoms and last, if excessive ammounts of it could produce negative long term effect. I don`t know if its just me, but when trying to do research on some of these "nootropics" and other compounds
 you always just find info on what it is or may be good for, and very little info on when it can flip sides and have short or longterm negative effect.

WHAT IS CHOLINE?

Choline is something we all require for good health. It is an important methyl donor for various methylation reactions. Although its made by our body, some require additional choline source. When diet is low on folate, another methyl donor, choline requirements increase.
Seems like omnivores (meat and veggi eaters) on unrestricted diets and vegans, vegetarians are all at the same risk of choline deficiency. Carnivores and heavy meat eaters may be at reduced risk, while those who regularly eat eggs are most likely to meet their choline needs.

Choline plays a role in:

* Cellular health and builds phospholipids that give structure to cell membranes
* Brain and nerve health: builds acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter essential for cognition, movement, and other vital function
* DNA production: along with folate and vitamin B12
* Signaling: builds molecules that act as cell messengers
* Heart health: helps remove homocysteine, which raises the risk of heart disease
* Helps prevent fatty liver
* May improve cognition
* Supports fetal development
* May help with asthma

Daily Needs:

* Adult men: 550 mg/day
* Adult females: 425 mg/day
* Pregnant women: 450 mg/day
* Nursing women: 550 mg/day

Choline Deficiency Symptoms:

Choline deficiency can be due to poor dietary intake, either because of a deficient diet, or the body being unable to absorb the nutrient from food.
Or it could be due to insufficient intake of nutrients such as vitamin B12, folic acid and the amino acid methionine, which are needed for choline to play its role in an important biochemical process called methylation.
One result of choline deficiency is that the liver is unable to package and transport fats properly.  Characteristic symptoms are increased levels of certain fats, called triglycerides, and decreased levels of  “Very Low Density Lipoprotein” used by the liver to transport fat in the blood. With age, the brain is less able to take in choline.  As choline is critical for nerve and brain function, this contributes to the risk of senile dementia.

deficiency sympthoms:

* impaired fat metabolism and transport, which hinders fat from being an energy source, and is symptomized by decrease in blood levels of  “Very Low Density Lipoprotein” which the liver uses to transport fats
* fatty build up in the liver, which may lead to fatty degeneration of the liver, cirrhosis, and other liver damage
* raised levels of cholesterol or triglyceride (a type of fats)
* high blood pressure (hypertension)
* high levels of homocysteine in blood, leading to risk of heart disease and other cardiovascular and circulatory problems
* respiratory distress in newborns or nerve degeneration or nerve muscle imbalances due to insufficient acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter that cannot be made without choline
* anemia arising from lack of red blood cell formation, as a cell membrane component, phosphatidylcholine, needs choline for its production
* kidney hemorrhage or kidneys unable to concentrate urine, due to insufficient phosphatidylcholine
* abnormal bone formation
* impaired growth in newborns
* fatigue
* insomnia
* infertility

Coline is critical for brain function and intake decreases with age, deficiency might lead to impaired memory or brain function or senile dementia (shortage of acetylcholine in the brain has been associated with Alzheimer’s disease)

COULD EXCESS OF CHOLINE BE DANGEROUS ?

Came across this study (published in 2009) on choline and vitamin b2 and their association with prostate cancer risk.
Study suggest that elevated concentrations of circulating choline and vitamin B2 may be associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer. We are talking about men here, obviously.
In addition to its role in one-carbon metabolism, choline is a precursor for cell membrane  phospholipids and is thus required in increased amounts in proliferating cells, including cancer cells. But on the other hand, high dietary choline intake has also been related to reduction in cancer  markers of inflammation. But to my knowledge it is advised to avoid adding choline for prostate cancer.

The study points out, that those prone to prostate cancer should be especially carefull not to take choline and vitamin b2 in excesive ammounts. Going over suggested daily needs for choline seemed to increase the risk for prostate cancer by 70%. Also note that some products disguise choline and throw it in vitamin B group.

Not to scare anyone, and far from telling you stop taking choline supplements, just keep in mind that something that can have positive effect in appropriate doses could backstab you when exaggerating. Especially when you have family history for certain cancer types like i do.
In conclusion, while dosages well within daily needs mostly had positive effects, pushing dosages of choline and vitamin b2 over suggested daily intake may be associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer.

Same study also shows that the concentrations of betaine, methionine, vitamin B6, and cysteine were not associated with prostate cancer risk.

Left some main sources below as these studies can be somehow hard to understand sometimes, so you be the judge if all this makes sense to you.
Note that information may vary and this is writers view on subject. You should not solely rely on information provided.

Main sources:
https://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/18/5/1538    pdf version
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3441112/
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/other-nutrients/choline

Gonootropics info on Choline
Excellent write up! Personally I have found Choline to have somewhat limited value, I get much more value out of racetams. I will occasionally take a low to medium dose of CDP Choline especially after long periods of racetam use. Some people need more Choline. As you mentioned, the elderly will benefit much more with supplemental Choline.

In my personal experiments I find too much Choline has the capability to Depress me so I'm very cautious with supplementing. If I'm feeling too manic, generally because of excess racetam use, Choline stabalizes me. It has its uses for sure.