Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pharma GABA
This review is for Natural Factors Pharma GABA (250mg). Pharma GABA is a naturally sourced bio-identical GABA, derived from fermented glutamate. Unlike regular GABA, which is too large to pass the BBB, pharma GABA is easily absorbed and binds to GABA receptors in the peripheral nervous system leading to activation of the parasympathetic nervous system. Pharma GABA takes about 15-20 min to take effect, causing a nice natural relaxation. In higher doses it can cause drowsiness and dry eyes, but at normal doses it just relaxes without any cognitive decline or lethargy. It helps improve focus and increases alpha waves. It also comes in handy when you need to calm down the brain at the end of the day when you're ready to relax but your daytime stack is still going strong. It stacks well with l-theanine to really get into zen mode. If you like phenibut it can also help with the 3rd day rebound anxiety many experience. If you like GABA and gabaergics, i highly recommend!
Wow I'm surprised PharmaGaba actually worked for you. From everything I've read plain GABA cannot cross the blood brain barrier, I'm still skeptical but I want to give it a shot. Could it have been placebo or did you really feel mentally calmed down? I need something safe to take daily, too much Phenibut...
So how is Pharma GABA different than GABA? Did they modify GABA in some way (functional group etc)?
(05-04-2020, 08:02 AM)Anthony McCollim Wrote: So how is Pharma GABA different than GABA? Did they modify GABA in some way (functional group etc)?

Don't quote me on this cause I could be off base but I believe they patented a certain process of making it like they did with KSM-66 and Sensoril - both are basically Ashwagandha but they are made in very specific standardized ways. Pharma GABA has 8 studies behind it showing that it works...where as regular non-patented GABA probably works but doesn't have studies to prove it? Seems like marketing.

That is my guess YMMV.
(05-05-2020, 04:34 AM)Liquid02 Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 08:02 AM)Anthony McCollim Wrote: So how is Pharma GABA different than GABA? Did they modify GABA in some way (functional group etc)?

Don't quote me on this cause I could be off base but I believe they patented a certain process of making it like they did with KSM-66 and Sensoril - both are Ashwagandha but they are made in very specific standardized ways. Pharma GABA has 8 studies behind it showing that it works...where as regular non-patented GABA probably works but doesn't have studies to prove it? Seems like marketing.

That is my guess YMMV.

This is interesting. From just a quick Google search I came across the following:

Quote:The natural GABA in Thorne's PharmaGABA suite is produced via a fermentation process that utilizes Lactobacillus hilgardii, the same bacteria that is used to ferment cabbage in the preparation of the traditional Korean dish known as kimchi.

It does sound like they basically just make the same stuff but perhaps use a different method which allows them to patent the product. 

Fermented foods are said to be good for the gut and overall brain health. There is indeed the problem of GABA crossing the BBB although I've heard lots of reports from people who get the calming effects. There are Gaba receptors all over the body, not just in the brain. Similar to serotonin which is primarily concentrated in the gut. Fix the gut, fix the brain. 

Combining GABA with Nitric Oxide producers are said to help GABA cross into the brain more efficiently. Nitric Oxide expands blood vessels and improves blood flow, delivering more nutrients. Picamilon for example combines GABA with Niacine (a NO producer) but is hard to source these days. FDA banned it as a supplement. Seriously, can we abolish them completely?  I believe Rupharma might stock some.
I'm honestly not 100% sure, but i think it's chemically different than just straight GABA, straight GABA doesn't produce any noticeable effects in my experience, however there are definitely acute effects from supplementing with pharmaGABA in my experience. The 100mg chewables are pretty good, but you need to at least eat 2, the 250mg pills are strong enough to feel, if i take 2 i get kinda groggy. They def aren't a replacement for phenibut, but help with recovery from phenibut. If you want something more akin to phenibut on the days you don't take it i would try a good kava extract, or picamillon.